State Recycling Laws Update
14 October 2019:
Ban on Range of Polystyrene Foam Items Proposed in Michigan Legislature
Food service ware; meat, fish and egg packaging; packing materials; and some other items would be covered by the ban.
Bill to Establish the Plastic Bags Reduction Act Introduced in Nova Scotia Legislature
The Act also would seek to reduce the use of other single-use products that create plastic waste.
Fayetteville, Arkansas City Council Proposal Would Ban Polystyrene Foam Food Service Ware
Little Rock, the state capital, approved a similar ordinance last year.
Michigan Legislature Approves Extending State Landfill Disposal Fees
The fees were scheduled to sunset on October 1.
Pennsylvania House of Representatives Approves Amended Bill to Reduce Illegal Waste Tire Dumping
The bill was sent to the Senate for consideration.
Baltimore City Council Seeking Solutions to Combat Illegal Dumping
An estimated 10,000 tons of trash, including bulky waste, are illegally dumped in the city each year.
Recycling Laws International
18 September 2019:
Draft Regulations for Container Deposit and Return Scheme Published by Scottish Government
The regulations set a 90% container collection rate by 2024.
Brazilian Ministry of Environment and Industry Groups Finalizing Draft EPR Plan for E-Waste
The plan calls for recycling a minimum of 17% of consumer e-waste within five years.
European Commission Opens Public Consultation on Conducting RoHS Directive Evaluation
The consultation follows a stakeholder review and comment period last year of a Directive Evaluation and Fitness Check Roadmap.
Australian State of Victoria Approves Ban on Single-Use Plastic Bags
The ban will take effect on November 1.
Ban on Larger PET Containers Proposed in Brazilian Camara Bill
The bill’s sponsor says disposable PET packaging can be replaced easily with returnable packaging.
Philippine Senate Bill Would Facilitate Converting Waste to Energy
Supportive financial incentives would be made available to companies and local government units.
The Bulletin9 October 2019:
- New Zealand Ministry of Environment Begins Developing National Container Return Scheme Proposal
- Government of Ontario Takes Next Step in Transition to New Household Hazardous Waste Management Program
- Scottish Waste Generation and Landfill Disposal Down Again in 2018
- EU Circular Economy Efforts by Businesses Still Have Long Way to Go Says EEA Report
- Survey of 4,000 French Consumers Finds 70% Are Concerned about Packaging Waste
- MassDEP Awards $2.9 Million in Municipal Recycling Grants
- Australian "National Garage Sale Weekend" Seeks to Reduce Unwanted Products Disposal
- RECYC-QUEBEC Launches Campaign to Encourage Transition from Disposable to Reusable Cups and Tableware
- New Recycled Material Standard Under Development
- Unilever Says It Will Cut Virgin Plastic Use by 50% by 2025
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.