State Recycling Laws Update
5 April 2021:
Maryland House of Delegates Approves Bill to Ban Single-Use Plastic Carryout Bags
The bill is being considered in the Senate.
South Carolina Senate Approves Bill to Support Chemical Recycling of Waste Plastics
The bill is under review in the House of Representatives.
State Purchasing Ban on Single-Use Plastic Water Bottles and Checkout Bags and Polystyrene Foam Food Service Ware Proposed in Rhode Island General Assembly
The ban also would apply to food service providers that contract with the state government.
North Carolina General Assembly Bill Seeks to Reduce Plastic Waste and Increase Plastics Recycling
Among the provisions is tax revenue to support local government plastics recycling services.
Ban on Government Purchases of Single-Use Plastic Items Proposed in New York State Legislature
The proposed ban would take effect immediately if approved.
Bill Introduced in New York State Legislature Would Impose An Advanced Recycling Fee on Food Service Packaging
The Department of Environmental Conservation would have administrative responsibility for the law.
Washington State Legislature Approves Bill Amending Carryout Bag Law
The amendment expands permissible paper carryout bags.
Two Resolutions Approved in Hawaii State Legislature Address Packaging EPR and Waste Exports
One resolution requests a study on the benefits and costs of implementing EPR for packaging.
Bipartisan Companion Bills Introduced in US Congress Would Boost State and Local Recycling Programs
The bills would provide $75 million in federal grants to governments, Indian tribes, non-profit organizations and public private partnerships.
New York City Lawmakers Want a Plan and Progress Reports for Achieving Zero Waste to Landfill
The NYC seeks to achieve zero waste by 2030 but does not have a detailed plan to do so.
Delay in Launch of Photovoltaic Modules Product Stewardship Program Approved by Washington State Legislature
Several keys dates have been pushed back by two years.
Wisconsin Senate Bill Would Amend Existing E-Waste Law
Among the proposed updates is the creation of a rural recycling grants program.
Recycling Laws International
15 April 2021:
Irish Government Launches Second Consultation on Proposed Beverage Container Deposit Return Scheme
Deposited containers will likely be limited to PET bottles and aluminum cans initially.
UK Government Opens Second Public Consultation on Proposed Revised Packaging EPR Scheme
The proposed revised EPR scheme is expected to produce a 78% packaging recycling rate by 2030.
Plastic Chemical Recycling Roadmap 2030 Published by Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management
Chemical recycling of waste plastics is expected to replace incineration of the material in the Netherlands.
Achieving a Circular Economy Is One of Five Objectives in Mexico’s Responsible Consumption Action Plan
Five types of actions addressing consumption and disposal of goods are planned for the next five years.
Resolution Introduced in French National Assembly Would Amend Law on Planned Obsolescence of Products
The resolution calls for extending product warranties from a minimum of two years to ten years and other actions.
Bill Introduced in Argentinian Senate Would Ban Single-Use Plastic Straws
The ban would be phased in upon the law’s passage.
The Bulletin14 April 2021:
- Measures to Reduce Consumption of Natural Resources Outlined by Finnish Government
- Norwegian Governmen Adopts Rules on Recycled Rubber in Artificial Turf to Reduce Microplastic Pollution
- Chilean Ministry of Environment Says Single-Use Plastics Bill Is Nearing Congressional Approval
Statistics and Trends:
- Government of Quebec Announces $14.32 Million Available to Optimize Provincial Ecocenters Network
- Victoria Government Announces Another $13.3 Million to Expand Recycling Infrastructure
- Vancouver Residents Disposed of 528 Million Pieces of PPE in 2020
- More Than two Tons of Marine Waste Removed from Galapagos Islands Coasts in Latest Cleanup Effort
- Delaware DNREC Launches "Recyclopedia" to Educate Consumers on Their Recycling Options for Waste Items
- Solid Waste Association of North America Publishes Report on Reducing Contaminants in Curbside Recycling
- US Glass Packaging Institute Sets 50% National Recycling Rate for 2030
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.