State Recycling Laws Update
5 August 2020:
Bill Introduced in US House of Representatives Would Divert Surplus Federal Computers to Non-Profit Refurishers
The General Services Administration would have responsibility for administering the proposed law.
Extended Producer Responsibility Is Now Part of a Vermont Bill to Restrict Hotel Distribution of Personal Care Products in Small Containers
The amended bill was approved by the Senate in June and includes new provisions for extended producer responsibility for packaging and printed paper.
Bill Introduced in Ontario Legislative Assembly Gives Local Governments Approval Rights for Proposed New Landfills
A coalition of 140 municipalities has been demanding a voice in the landfill siting process.
New York City Council Member Wants to Ban 'Bring Your Own' Containers at Food Service Establishments
The lawmaker is concerned about spreading the novel corona virus.
Mayor Extends Temporary Suspension of Boston’s Single-Use Plastic Carryout Bag Ban
The mayor also says reusable bags are safe and residents should feel free to use them.
Washington Department of Ecology Publishes Legislative Report Identifying Consumer Products to Be Studied for Toxic Chemicals
Priority chemicals include flame retardants, PFAS, bisphenols and phthalates.
Recycling Laws International
10 August 2020:
New Zealand Government Announces Regulatory Product Stewardship Has Been Approved for Six Categories of Products
The country’s 15 accredited voluntary stewardship schemes have had only limited success in minimizing waste, said a government minister.
Swedish Government Releases Circular Economy Strategy
The strategy focuses on five priority streams that include plastics, textiles and renewable and bio-based raw materials.
Spanish Decree on Waste Tire Management Called a Step Toward Extended Producer Responsibility
Landfill disposal of large tires prohibited, reuse or recovery required.
Welsh Government Proposes Banning Nine Types of Single Use Plastic Products
The ban likely will take effect in autumn 2021.
Bill Introduced in Philippine House of Representatives Would Establish Regional Recycling Centers
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources would establish needed rules and regulations if the bill becomes law.
French National Assembly Resolution Links Advertising to Overconsumption and Environmental Harm
The resolution contains more than 20 recommended actions some of which would need to be codified.
The Bulletin10 August 2020:
Statistics and Trends:
- UK Aluminum Container Recycling Sets Quarterly Record
- 39% of German Household Residual Waste in 2018 Was Organic
- Urban Waste Generation in Portugal Increased for the Fifth Consecutive Year
- Irish EPA Says Irish Packaging Recycling Rate "is going in the wrong direction"
- Single Use Plastic Carryout Bag Distribution Has Fallen 95% in England Since Bag Charge Imposed
- Government of Western Australia Makes $1.54 Million Available for Waste Reduction Grants
- French Government Agency Seeks Innovative Projects Supporting a Circular Economy
- Sustainability Victoria Launches Recycled Content Products Directory for Government Buyers
Business and Industry Initiatives:
- Italian Packaging Producers Sign Government MOU to Participate in Marine Plastic Litter Project
- Solid Waste Association Requested 2.4 Million Facial Coverings from US Federal Government for Virus Protection
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.