State Recycling Laws Update
11 November 2019:
Nova Scotia Legislature Approves Act Banning Single-Use Plastic Checkout Bags
The ban will take effect in about one year.
Portland, Maine Approves Restrictions on Plastic Straws and Drink Stirrers
Earlier this year, the state banned single-use plastic bags and polystyrene foam food containers.
New York City Council Bill Would Reduce Single-Use Plastic Water Bottles in Many Public Schools
Students would be provided with free reusable water bottles.
Metro Vancouver Announces Support for British Columbian Plastics Action Plan
The action plan bans some single-use packaging, requires producers to take back more products, and expands plastic containers covered by the provincial container deposit scheme.
Province of Brunswick Announces It's Planning a Packaging and Printed Paper EPR Program
The EPR program is expected to boost the province’s current 30% recycling rate.
Minneapolis City Council Considers Mandatory Recycling at Public Events and Markets
Event sponsors and market managers would be responsible for providing the required services.
Recycling Laws International
4 November 2019:
Bill to Prohibit "Harmful Plastic" Packaging and Microplastic Beads Introduced in Irish Parliament
The bill also would prohibit consumer products that contain plastic microbeads.
Norwegian Environment Agency Proposes Ban on Nine Disposable Plastic Items
A public consultation on draft regulations is open.
Scottish Parliament Introduces 25-Pence Charge on Its Disposable Beverage Cups
The charge applies only to cafes inside Parliament, but it likely will expand nationally under legislation being developed.
Philippine House Bill Would Ban Single-Use Plastics at Tourist Sites and Destinations
Several federal government departments would prepare guidelines needed to implement the law.
Swedish Parliament Takes Up Proposed Tax on Waste Delivered to Incinerators
The tax was included in the national government’s 2020 budget released earlier this year.
Larger Commercial Waste Generators Would Become Responsible for their Waste Management Costs under Brazilian Camara Bill
The bill would amend the National Policy on Solid Waste.
Sustainability Index for Consumer Electronics Proposed in French National Assembly
Manufacturers and importers would determine the criteria used to establish the index.
The Bulletin13 November 2019:
- CalRecycle Announces Arrests in Several Beverage Container Redemptions Fraud Incidents
- Reducing Plastics Contamination is Part of Proposed New UK Rules Consultation on Biowaste
- EU Glass Container Recycling Rate Edged Up to 76% in 2017
- EU Carton Recycling Rate Up 1% in 2018
- Output from Quebec Material Recovery Facilities Down 3% in 2018
- New South Wales EPA Offers More Grants to Prevent Food Waste
- Hawaiian County Cites Decling Global Recyclables Market for Curbside Collection Change
- Norway Collects more than 20,000 Recreational Boats for Recycling during Past Two Years
- Canadian Plastic and Chemical Industry Associations Plan to Join Forces
- UK Aluminum Industry Group Sounds Concern about Proposed Container Deposit Scheme Details
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.