State Recycling Laws Update
11 November 2020:
Government of Canada Launches Consultation on Proposed Management Approach to Reducing Plastic Waste
The approach focuses on reducing single-use plastics and increasing plastic recycling.
Bill Introduced in Ontario Legislative Assembly Seeks to Reduce Marine-Generated Plastic Pollution
The bill would ban some marine products made of extruded polystyrene.
Delaware DNR Finalizing Regulations Banning Single-Use Plastic Carryout Bags
The regulations will take effect on January 1, 2021.
Bill Filed in Texas Legislative Would Rescind State Ban on Local Container and Packaging Ordinances
If approved, the change would take effect on September 1 next year.
Minnesota Board Considering Converting Closed Landfills into Solar Energy Facilities
The proposed solar energy facilities could generate enough power for100, 000 homes.
Los Angeles City Council Approves Resolution Supporting Federal Plastics Recycling Bill
However, the federal bill has made virtually no progress since its introduction in February.
Recycling Laws International
17 November 2020:
UK Government Introduces Plastic Packaging Tax Legislation
With some exceptions, a tax of £200 per ton would apply to plastic packaging with less than 30% recycled plastic.
Bill to Reduce Plastic Pollution Re-introduced in UK Parliament
The bill would ban more single-use plastics, dramatically cut plastic waste and pollution, and create an advisory committee on plastic pollution.
Green Public Procurement Program Proposed in Philippine Senate Bill
The proposed program would apply to all branches of the federal government.
Latvian Cabinet of Ministers Approves Regulations to Establish a Container Deposit Scheme
The deposit scheme will launch in 2022.
Hong Kong EPD Launches another Incentive Program to Boost Household Recycling
Participants in the scheme receive smart cards that allow them to earn credits for free products.
Swedish EPA Publishes Report on Swedish Extended Producer Responsibility Schemes
The report covered regulated (mandatory) schemes some of which are not required by European Union directives.
The Bulletin11 November 2020:
Statistics and Trends:
- New South Wales Beverage Container Return Scheme Reaches 4.5 Billion Recycled Containers Milestone
- European Beverage Carton Rate Increased to 51% in 2019
- Danish EPA Funds Project to Make Washing Refillable Beer Bottles Less Water Intensive
- French Packaging Recycling Organization Seeking Collaborators for Polystyrene Foam Recycling Effort
- Netherlands Creates Pictogram to Help Reduce Waste PPE Confusion and Littering
- Peruvian Ministry of Environment Launches Household Waste Separation Campaign
- Ontario Government Invests $5 Million to Prevent Food Waste Related to COVID-19 Pandemic
- Government of Victoria to Spend $1.7 Million to Increase E-Waste Recycling
Business and Industry Initiatives:
- European Label Manufacturers Launch Initiative to Bring Self-Addressive Labels into the Circular Economy
- American Chemistry Council Partners in Study to Boost Plastic and Paper Recycling
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.