State Recycling Laws Update5 October 2022:
California Approves Expansion of Beverages Covered by Container Deposit Scheme
The scheme soon will add wine and distilled spirits as covered beverages.
California Legislature Approves Bills Placing Restrictions on Recyclers Purchasing Catalytic Converters and Bulk Merchandise Pallets
Both new laws seek to prevent selling of stolen materials to recyclers and scrap dealers.
EV Battery Recyclers Would Need to Be State Licensed under New Jersey Assembly Bill
The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection would be responsible for implementing the law.
Bill to Ban PFAS in Food Packaging Introduced in Pennsylvania General Assembly
The proposed statewide manufacturing, distribution and sales ban would take effect in 2024.
Michigan Lawmaker Wants Warning Labels on Disposable Wipes Sold in the State
Anyone violating the law could face civil fines up to $10,000.
Cupertino, California Expands Existing Ban on Single-Use Plastic Items
The ordinance will take effect this week.
Bill Introduced in New York City Council Would Require Dumpsters for Larger Residential Buildings
If approved, the ordinance would take effect 180 days later.
Recycling Laws International
29 August 2022:
Governments of Norway and Rwanda Announce New International Coalition to End Plastic Pollution
The governments of 18 other nations have agreed to be coalition members.
Kenya Plastics Pact Unveils Roadmap for Next Eight Years
The roadmap incorporates goals and targets first proposed by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation.
Resolution Introduced in French National Assembly Calls for More Restrictions on Plastic Packaging
One provision would prohibit perfluorinated compounds in food packaging and containers starting in 2024.
Philippine House Bill Would Establish National Network of Regional Recycling Centers
Local government units would initiate actions to help establish the centers; national government departments would provide assistance.
Jamaican Government Launches Fledgling E-Waste Recycling Effort
The country's solid waste agency said it is exploring possible e-waste export markets.
10 August 2022:
- Welsh First Minister Says to Expect Introduction of a Single-Use Plastics Bill in 2023
- Lithuanian DEP Begins Compliance Checks on Single-Use Plastic Bag Distribution
Statistics and Trends:
- G20 Nations Launch Circular Economy Information Hub
- Estonian Ministry of Environment Distributes Design Guide for Making Packaging More Circular
- Danish Environmental Protection Agency Enters into Agreement with Businesses to Recycle More Textiles
- New York City Mayor Announces "Largest Composting Program in Nation"
- Government of British Columbia Allocates $10 Million to Recycle More Plastic and Reduce Pollution
- MSW Generation Fell 8.3% in Northern Ireland During First Quarter of 2022
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.