State Recycling Laws Update
6 July 2020:
Bill to Create Plastic Waste Reduction and Recycling Act Introduced in US House of Representatives
The bill authorizes more than $484 million in dedicated funding from 2021 through 2025.
Colorado General Assembly Approves Law Supporting More Recycling Markets Development Efforts
A study will be undertaken and recommendations made to the Colorado General Assembly by July 1, 2021.
California Assembly Approves Bill to Delay State Recycling Commission Policy Recommendations
The bill is being considered in the Senate.
Michigan Senate Approves Bill Updating Specific Beverage Container Deposit Redemption Requirements
The House of Representatives has taken up the measure.
Pennsylvania Lawmakers Cite Covid-19 Pandemic as Reason for Measure to Prohibit New Single-Use Plastics Bans or Regulations
The proposed law would take effect immediately but could sunset quickly.
City of Baltimore Publishes Draft Recycling and Solid Waste Master Plan
The plan includes options for waste reduction and reuse, waste diversion and recycling, mixed waste processing, and waste transfer and disposal.
Recycling Laws International
30 June 2020:
Spanish Government Approves National Circular Economy Strategy
The strategy calls for implementing three triennial actions plans over the next ten years.
Final Regulations Approved to Establish Scottish Container Deposit Scheme
The scheme will launch on July 1, 2022.
ECHA Committee Supports Restrictions on Intentionally Added Microplastics in All Products
Microplastics used in making artificial turf cited as a particular concern.
Packaging Extended Producer Responsibility Bill Introduced in Argentinian Senate
The bill includes a sliding scale of tax credits for packaging producers to facilitate their investment in needed takeback systems.
Another Bill Introduced in Brazilian Camara Would Ban Disposable Plastic Bags
The proposal would mandate a retail transition to bags made of biodegradable alternatives.
Bill to Ease Ban on Waste Incineration Introduced in Philippine House of Representatives
Medical waste from the covid-19 pandemic cited as rationale for the change.
The Bulletin24 June 2020:
- Norwegian Environment Agency Taking Action Against Plastic Packaging 'Free Riders'
- Michigan DEQ Resumes Container Deposit Scheme Redemptions
- Mass DEP Opens Public Comment Period on Draft 2020-2030 Solid Waste Master Plan
Statistics and Trends:
- Swedish Waste Generation Increased 9% in Latest EPA Report
- Solid Waste Generation and Waste Imports Both Rose in Virginia in 2019
- New Jersey DEP Awards $19.4 Million in Grants to Combat Litter
- Swedish Consumption of Single-Use Plastic Bags Falls for Third Consecutive Year
- Welsh Government Asks Residents to Use Only Registered Waste Hauling Services to Combat Illegal Dumping
- Hong Kong EPD Launches Campaign to Reduce Waste and Boost Recycling
- 67 Million Pieces of Unwanted Clothing About To Hit UK Charities and Recyclers Says WRAP
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.