State Recycling Laws Update
9 December 2019:
US Senate Bill Would Allocate $75 Million for Recycling Public Education and Outreach Grants
The grants would be awarded by the US Environmental Protection Agency over five years.
City of Vancouver Approves By-Laws Banning Some Single-Use Items
Minimum fees will be imposed on disposable cups, paper bags and reusable bags.
Massachusetts Senate Approves Bill to Ban Single-Use Plastic Bags
The bill also would require a minimum 10-cent fee on recyclable paper bags.
New York Assembly to Consider Bill Mandating Recycled Content in Plastic Beverage Containers
The bill calls for 75% recycled content by 2025.
Fee on Disposable Bags Proposed in Denver City Council
Retail stores would be required to provide free reusable bags to customers.
Restrictions on Plastic Trash Bags, Not Carryout Bags, Proposed in New York Senate Bill
Plastic trash bags would need to meet a recycled content standard to be sold in New York State.
Oregon’s Second Largest City Bans Single-Use Polystyrene Food Containers
The ban will take effect next month.
Wisconsin DNR Recommends Possible Changes to State E-Waste Program
The recommendations were included in a report showing a fourth straight year of collection declines.
Honolulu City Council Considers Bill to Better Enforce Illegal Dumping
Photographs and videotapes of vehicles involved in illegal dumping would be sufficient evidence to issue citations.
Recycling Laws International
2 December 2019:
Australian Senate Bill Would Mandate Product Stewardship for Packaging and Plastics
The bill includes targets to make all packaging reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025.
Retail Collection of Packaging Waste Proposed in Philippine House of Representatives.
Retailers and producers would receive tax incentives to collect recyclable materials and reuse them in packaging.
Danish Parliament Takes Up Bill to Tax Single-Use Plastic Bags
The bill brings Denmark into compliance with EU Directive 2015/720 addressing lightweight plastic carrier bags.
Philippine House Bill Would Phase Out Single-Use Plastics
Until the phase out is completed, charges would be imposed on the plastic items.
Ban on Cardboard Toothpaste Packaging Proposed in Argentinian Congress
Toothpaste producers would need to eliminate the packaging within two years if the bill is approved.
French National Assembly Resolution Calls for All Cigarette Filters to Be Compostable
A proposed ban on cellulose acetate filters by national decree is recommended.
Government of Zealand Proposes Landfill Tax Increases to Increase Recycling and Reuse
Taxes also would be expanded to include additional waste streams.
The Bulletin4 December 2019:
- Hong Kong MSW Recycling Rate Decreased 2% in 2018
- English Household Waste Recycling Rate Decreased Slightly in 2018
- Wisconsin E-Waste Collection Level Declined for Fourth Straight Year
- Latest Philippine Government Report Shows Progress in Closing Dumps, Adding New MRFs
- US Department of Energy Launches Program to Stimulate Innovation in Plastics Recycling
- New South Wales EPA Awards More Than $1 Million in Grants to Develop More Community Recycling Centers
- Quebec Ministry of Environment Announces New Program and Funding for Waste Tire R&D Projects
- Online Map of Legitimate Waste Collectors Published to Reduce Illegal Dumping in Ireland
- Cola-Cola and KAB Are Offering Public Spaces Recycling Bin Grants in US
- European Recycling Industries Association Calls for Measures to Ensure Adequate European Paper Recycling
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.