State Recycling Laws Update
26 October 2020:
United States Congress Approves $500 Million Bill to Minimize Plastic Waste
The bill includes grants and other funding and the preparation of numerous studies and reports over the next five years.
New York State Begins Enforcing Ban on Single-Use Plastic Bags
Enforcement had been delayed by a legal challenge.
MassDEP Proposes Adding Mattresses and Textiles to List of Waste Items Banned from Disposal
The department also proposed changing the threshold for the state’s ban on disposal of commercial food waste.
Government of Ontario Proposes Changes to Curbside Packaging and Printed Paper Collection Program
A public consultation was opened on the proposed changes.
Bill Introduced in New York City Council Would Ban Food Packaging Containing PFAS Labelled As Compostable
If approved, the ban would take effect one year later.
Austin Resource Recovery Launches Public Survey to Start Zero Waste "Comprehensive Plan" Development
The Comprehensive Plan will update the city’s 2011 Zero Waste Master Plan.
Recycling Laws International
19 October 2020:
European Commission Opens Public Consultation on Revising the EU Packaging and Packaging Waste Directive
The consultation seeks stakeholder views and ideas in preparing a review of the directive.
EU Parliament Committee Draft Resolution Calls for Support of the New Circular Economy Action Plan
The document proposes a number of addtional actions for the European Commission to consider.
French National Assembly Resolution Calls for Ban on All Plastic Shopping Bags
The proposal would extend the ban applied only to single-use plastic bags.
UK Parliamentary Committee Seeks Stakeholder Comments on Addressing Textile Waste
The Committee has been investigating the subject for two years.
Scottish Government Opens Consultation on Proposed Ban on Certain Single-Use Plastic Products
The consultation also asks respondents whether other single-use products should be considered for a future ban.
Bill to Establish a Circular Economy in the Philippines Introduced in the House of Representatives
The bill includes a phase-out of single use plastics, new standards for compostable plastics, extended producer responsibility schemes, and adoption of zero waste models by businesses.
The Bulletin14 October 2020:
- Ontario Authority Launches Consultation on Blue Box "Wind-Up Plan"
- United Kingdom's Defra Opens Public Consultation on 2020 WEEE Compliance Fee
Statistics and Trends:
- Irish EPA Survey on Food Waste Finds Bread and Produce the Most Wasted
- German Environmental Agency Concerned about Decline in Reusable Beverage Bottle Use
- Chilean Environmental Minister Launches Campaign Encouraging Businesses to Donate Unwanted Computers for Reuse
- Government of British Columbia Makes Available $25.7 Million to Boost Organic Waste Recycling
- French Government Agency Offering 10 Million Euros in Circular Economy Funding
Business and Industry Initiatives:
- Dutch Waste Managment Association Petitions Government for "Cleaner" Organic Waste Stream
- French Food Makers Attempt to Make Polystyrene Circular in Food Applications
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.