State Recycling Laws Update
4 October 2021:
New California Law Increases Requirements for Plastic Products To Be Labeled as Compostable
The Senate recently approved the bill that was passed by the Assembly earlier this year.
Packaging Extended Producer Responsibility Bill Introduced in Pennsylvania General Assembly
Producers that fail to collect their share of waste packaging would have to make payments to the state.
Connecticut DEEP Holds Stakeholder Consultation for Beverage Container Deposit Law Update
A stakeholder consultation concluded on August 27.
Fairfax County, Virginia Approves Tax on Single-Use Plastic Bags
The five-cent tax will take effect on January 1, 2022.
Chicago City Council Resolution Calls for Banning Plastic Pellets and Other Preproduction Plastic Material Discharges into Local Waterways
The measure parallels one introduced in the United States Senate in April.
New York City Council Approves Creation of Task Force for Environmentally Preferred Textiles Purchasing by City Agencies
The task force will submit a report with purchasing guidelines and policy and legislative recommendations to the mayor and city council.
Recycling Laws International
13 October 2021:
European Commission Publishes Methodologies for Compliance with Some EU Single-Use Plastics Directive Requirements
The methodologies include how to determine the amount and weights of waste plastic bottles placed on the market and collected as waste.
Indian Central Pollution Control Board Publishes Guidance on Single-Use Plastics
The document explains what items are banned and what alternatives are acceptable.
Bill to Establish Packaging EPR Introduced in Philippine Congress
The bill is a consolidation of elements from ten earlier bills and has broad sponsorship.
Covid-19 Pandemic Cited by Peruvian Lawmakers as a Reason to Delay National Ban on Polystyrene Foam Food Containers
The lawmakers say smaller businesses have not had sufficient time to transition to alternative materials in part due to the pandemic.
Bill Introduced in Brazilian Camara Would Set a Government Green Purchasing Target
Government product suppliers would need to present third-party sustainability certification for their products.
Norwegian Environment Agency Study Finds Recycled Plastic Products Contain No Hazardous Chemicals
The agency tested 27 consumer products that were identified as being made from recycled plastic.
4 August 2021:
- More Than 20 Cities in British Columbia Are Developing Single-Use Plastic Bylaws
- California Retailer Fined for Not Forwarding Mattress Recycling Fees As Required by Law
Statistics and Trends:
- Use of Refillable Beverage Bottles Edges Up in Germany for First Time Since 2003
- State of Victoria Awards $6.3 Million in Circular Economy Grants
- MassDEP Awards More Than $500,000 in Recycling Development Grants
- Pilot Program Launched in Catalonia Places Deposits on Reusable Drinking Glasses
- Peruvian Environmental Ministry Approves Resolution for Implementation of Municipal Source-Separated Recycling Programs
- Australian Industry-Government Organization Publishes Guide for Increasing Recycled Content in Packaging
- British Industry Association Quantities Effect of Covid-19 Self-Isolations on Plastics Industry
Read the Bulletin articles highlighted above.